Re: [oletrucks] Fan CFM

To: NTemple46@aol.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Fan CFM
From: Thomas Allen <thallen@nwlink.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 10:56:07 -0800
I can't tell you what the CFM ratings are but I can tell you that you can
mount two 10" fans behind the radiator. On the half tons you cannot mount a
fan ahead of the radiator because of the cross bracing. Don't remove the
cross bracing unless you also remount the radiator "hoop" to the frame in
the manner of the big trucks, which was one center mount which supported
the whole front-end so that the frame could twist under it. If you remove
the cross bracing and drive the truck on rough roads, the radiator will
soon start to leak.

I modified a 235 water pump to take the V8 pulley and now just have room
for a stock fan with the radiator in the stock location, although I use a
high-pitch 18" truck fan with the radiator mounted ahead of the rear flange
of the hoop.   Another possibility is to buy the short water pump and
pulley setup from Patrick's. Check to make sure you have enough clearance
between the fan and the lower radiator outlet hose. You may have to drop
the radiator a couple of inches in its hoop.

-Tom Allen
51 3800

At 10:21 AM 1/28/02 -0500, NTemple46@aol.com wrote:
>Just wondering if anyone knows the CFM of a stock 235 fan.  I swapped my 216
>for a 235 and want to go with an electric fan.  The trouble is that I don't
>think I can fit a large 16" model )I have less than three inches between the
>radiator and the pulley.  Possibly two 10" models????  I just want to make
>sure I end up with at least as much CFM as the stock unit had.  Any other
>ideas are welcome.  I have the whole truck dissasembled and can't remember if
>I have room in front for a "pusher" fan or not.  I would have to cut out the
>radiator support crossmember if I did and I would rather not do that.
>Thanks, Neil
>46 2-ton.

Tom Allen
Seattle, WA