[oletrucks] Re: steering column/wheel length changes, TF...

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: steering column/wheel length changes, TF...
From: J Forbes <jforbes2@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2002 08:46:45 -0600
> Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 20:41:21 EST
> From: GremlinGTs@aol.com
> Subject: [oletrucks] Re: steering column/wheel length changes, TF...
>
>     I found out that the column length changed slightly, the '58-59 TF trucks
> had slightly shorter columns, and a recessed center on the steering wheel,
> and extended the wheel rim out some, so when you turn the wheel, your arm
> doesn't hit the horn buttone. I have done that in both my '55 TF trucks (
> 3800 farm truck, 3200 Suburban ), and it gets annoying! I thought about going
> to a later column and wheel for that reason. And the automatic columns have
> the mounting for the shifter rod slightly altered too, I think. Not sure.
> Anyway, that's about it.
>
> Jerry
> '55 Chevy Sub, possible up for sale soon in Virginia...

My understanding is that the length of the steering columns changed in
57, when they went to the dished wheel.  The 55-56 columns are the same,
and the 58-59 columns are the same (and shorter than the 55-56
columns).  It's likely that the shifter mechanism changed at the same
time.  The turn signal switch mechanism changed; the piece that the
lever screws into has an angled hole on the later trucks, to get the
lever closer to the rim of the steering wheel.

Jim F
59s in AZ

ps $2k sounds reasonable as an asking price for the 55 suburban...