Re: [oletrucks] Air brakes

To: "Gary Perry" <glperry@fwi.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Air brakes
From: Thomas Allen <thallen@nwlink.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2002 18:38:32 -0800
Sounds like the compressor was sucking oil when it last ran. When the
compressor rings get worn, they suck oil and it ends up in the air tank.
Since the fittings at the outlet of the compressor can get get very hot,
the oil can coke up in the main tube leading to the air tank. Once when I
was driving an old 52 MACK B-61 diesel with a load of hay, this happened
and it completely plugged the air line and it blew the fitting off the end
of the tube with a loud BANG. NO MORE AIR going down Snoqualmie pass.
Fortunately, the reserve tank on the trailer was full and the trailer
brakes were enough to get it stopped. Next, I cleaned out my trousers. Then
I set to work by the side of the road with a coat hanger cleaning out the
tube. I was able to get going again before dark. Such are the tales of
trucking in the old days. It'll be an adventure. The old Mack had
Daton-style wheels although they had Mack cast into them. I remember that
it was a chore to get them lined up so they didn't wobble going down the
road even though tight. Budd wheels are a lot less hassle but many trucks
from the East had spoke wheels. Most in the West had Budds. Don't know why.
Don't remember specifically about the "cracks" but there has to be some way
to slide the valve stem to the edge of the wheel when you dismantle it.

-Tom Allen
51 3800

At 06:35 PM 2/2/02 -0500, Gary Perry wrote:
>Blew air into my broken line on back brakes of my 52 470 GMC and it operated
>the brakes on each side, and I could hold air in some, slowly leaked off tho.
>Then, the pressure tank under cab started leaking out very black oilly stuff,
>looked like  could have been engine oil, it gets black in Diesels, I know.
>Don't like the thought of that. Books I have on air brakes say you need to
>drain off water from this tank occasionally. I haven't even seen if engine
>will turn over or locked yet. Can't get into it very well to see/try anything,
>plus, tons of Gunk on it. Think I found the throttle link, goes to front right
>of engine thru long links and accross the cab floor to pedal. Still don't see
>how the brake pedal hooks up yet. Wish it was 80 degrees now, stead of 30 or
>less!
>
>G. L. Perry
>Huntington, IN 46750
>AD COE's in restoration