Re: [oletrucks] 235 oiling ?

To: "Old Truck List" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 235 oiling ?
From: "Allen Jones" <jonesal@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 09:19:44 -0800
I can't accurately speak to car inlines as my research did not include
those.  It's entirely possible the car 235 had another variant oiling system
for the rockers.  From looking at the truck documentation, it looks like the
coil mounting holes are inches from the oil galley that supplies the
rockers, however some years show this, and others do not.

As far as hydraulic lifters go, the block I used in my '50 truck originally
had hydraulic lifters in it (a 1961 block -- I believe this was the last
year for these types in inlines), but I stuck 58 and later mechanical
lifters in because it is a performance engine.  No needed modifications of
the block or head to accommodate the mechanical lifters.  I've run both
types in hydraulic blocks without the line you state, and have had no
trouble with the mechanical lifters (oil at the rockers fine, and oil
pressure was fine).  I'd be interested in hearing more detail about the line
so that I better understand the reasoning.

On another note, I've never been able to find a hydraulic lifter for a 235
(261) that will survive for any length of time.  I ask a fair bit in
performance, and I don't think the quality is out there right now.  That's
why I always install a mechanical tappit.  For a street driver, they may
perform ok -- perhaps another area for investigation.

Allen in Seattle
'50 3100