[oletrucks] 235 woes revisited

To: "_Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>,
Subject: [oletrucks] 235 woes revisited
From: "Rob J." <rjjmsj@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 18:41:32 -0800
Ok, new dilemma.  Just picked up another complete 235 from another
member...thanks Skip.  Anyway, when it came to Skip, he was told it was a
running engine, but personally never heard it run.  It is obviously not
frozen, and appears to be in reasonably good shape (not much build up of
gunk).  It is a '58 with an 848 head.

What I would like some opinions on.  What would be involved in trying to
start it while outside the truck?  What kind of a stand would I need to
use...does anyone know where I could buy a decent one that would work for
actually running the engine on it?  I think I could hook up a radiator and
use a fan to provide cooling.  Or is it almost as much trouble as just
dumping it in the engine bay, bolting it all down, and THEN testing it?

I am hesitant to pull the head or oil pan to do an internal examination and
to check the condition of the bearings without some good specific reason to,
but also realize that if I don't, I may find that it is in need of a rebuild
and then have to pull it and still do all that.

What are the thoughts...is it basically a gamble whatever I do, or can
anyone maybe give me some idea of tests I can perform while it is out, that
might at least give me a better idea of the conditon and that DON'T involve
pulling the head or oil pan.

Rob