RE: [oletrucks] intake/exhaust port matching

To: "'Bob KNOTTS'" <raknotts@qwest.net>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] intake/exhaust port matching
From: Williams Grant Civ Det 2 418 FLTS/ENQA
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 17:29:14 -0000
Several sources sell Fenton's.  Steve may be right about Patrick's.
However, several suppliers such as Chevy Duty and Jim Carter offer Fenton's
or will split your original exhaust (not really a header but more
performance and sounds different) that uses your old exhaust manifold and is
a lot less$$.  Also, Carter sells what they claim is the original cast iron
headers made specifically for the GMC for $450.  Problem is, when I called
to ask what made them so special that they costs $450, the tech didn't have
an answer!!  Also, Clifford performance sells tube headers for the inline
Chevy and GMC engines at a very reasonable price.  Oh yeah, check out
Stovebolt, they have a really cool set of Chevy cast iron headers that
appear in there sales online.  If the Chevy Fenton's will fit GMC, why not
use the Stovebolt headers instead?  They are a much cleaner looking
manifold.

I've heard stories about Fenton's from Patrick's requiring a lot of grinding
to match up the mounting pads.  But they look and sound so cool I just had
to try them.  I'm finding a lot of similarities between the GMC and Chevy
sixes.  A lot of suppliers claim a product fits the GMC but is actually, as
Steve mentioned, designed for Chevy engines.  Note that I recently
discovered my 228 CID and 270 CID crank damper and pulley have the same ID
as a SBC crank set.  Interesting if your looking to move pulley and dampers
around for special purposes.....

Grant