[oletrucks] 235 rebuild questions

To: <old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: [oletrucks] 235 rebuild questions
From: "Rob" <a70ragtop@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 09:06:58 -0800
How are the valve stem seals put on?  I see there is a groove to accept them,
but the cap (maybe that is not the right term...I'm referring to the round
piece that holds the spring in place) seems to push them out of the groove
when I depress the cap to install the keepers.  Are the keepers supposed to
maybe "cover" the seals, or do the bottom of the keepers fit "against" the top
of the seal?

If the keeper is supposed to cover the seal, is there some trick to putting
the keepers, caps and seals on?  Having the keeper cover the seal seems to
make sense, but that makes putting the keepers in place difficult.  Before I
ruin another set, thought I'd ask for advice.

Also, the manual talks about pulling a vacuum on the cap to check if the seal
is working...that leads me to think that the keeper MUST cover the seal...but,
is there a special tool to use to check the seal other than the one the manual
talks about, which I'm sure is not longer available?  I have a mityvac vacuum
unit, but wonder if there is an accessory that can be purchased that would fit
over the cap to allow the test to be performed...OR, does anyone have any
other suggestion on how to perform the test?

Rob

My Zen Moment for the Day:  Some days, you are the bug; some days, you are the
windshield.