RE: [oletrucks] 1950 1/2 ton brakes question

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] 1950 1/2 ton brakes question
From: Roger.Gleason@uconn.edu
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 11:16:06 -0400
I think the fluid will always squirt out if the cap is off. The reason is
the fluid fills the gap between the plunger via the feed hole and the
system when its all the way back and at rest. When you push on the pedal it
forces fluid up out of the feed hole into the reservoir for just a brief
moment. If its full you may not get much splash but I doubt it. The plunger
passes the feed hole and closes the system and allows you to feel a
"pedal".  If  you push slowly you will probably not get any splash but who
wants to push a brake pedal that slowly? Just put the cap back on and check
it every 4 or 5 pumps.
Roger Gleason
51-3100 AD Huckster

Lon,
I have rebuilt my own brakes (MC and all WC) and have had EXACTLY the same
spit up problem.  You are pushing down on the break pedal way to hard. It
is
a very very very soft push down and with luck this will then let bubbles up
from the MC.  Keep the cap off and keep the reserve almost FULL.  It took
me
some time to get the air out of the MC but once it was out it all seems to
work.  Is the truck on a VERY LEVEL SURFACE - it should be.  However if I
do
not drive the truck for a week or so I need to pump up the break to get
pressure back into the system.  I never asked the list if this was an
issue.

NHJim

I worked on my brakes yesterday and could not get them to hold pressure.  I
would pump the brake and get good peddle, then I would let off for 2 or 3
seconds and it would go right to the floor.  We bled all the lines and they
seem fine. My question is this; when I remove the fill cap on the master
cylinder and push the peddle down, fluid comes shooting up from the
cylinder
into the reservoir.  Is this normal or do I have a bad master cylinder?
Did
I not bleed it right or am I missing a trick that only ole' time truckers
know?  Any help would be great!

Thanks,

Lon