[oletrucks] Rearend & Drive shaft questions

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Rearend & Drive shaft questions
From: "Gordon V. Wilhelm" <gvwilhelm@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 21:14:29 -0600
Hi all,

I am ready to install a drive shaft in my 1951 GMC 1/2 ton..  It has a 305 V8
with a TH350 transmission.  The rearend is a GM unit with 10 bolts, 4.11 gears
and a part number of 8707840.  There is 58 9/16" between the face of the yoke
and the end of the tailpiece.

Can anyone tell me:

1.    What car or truck is this rearend originally from??
2.    What would be a good donor for an easy swap in.

 I would appreciate any information on this part of the V8 swap!!   By the way
I just installed the 23" Lokar "nostagia shifter" - very slick!!

Regards,

Gordon Wilhelm