Re: [oletrucks] 235 wisdom

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 235 wisdom
From: J Forbes <jforbes2@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 15:12:33 -0700
> Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 22:55:44 -0700
> From: mark <ccpanel@jps.net>
> Subject: [oletrucks] 235 wisdom
>
> VEHICLE- all stock 1TON 235/4spd 1955TF chevy camper
>
> - -what do i do to keep it cool,

Get the radiator fixed?  It could be well plugged up.  The block is also
probably well plugged up, but getting it cleaned out usually means
pulling the engine apart...or at least popping out the freeze plugs you
can get to and doing some serious poking and scrubbing inside the water
jackets.  Also, note that the gage will probably indicate not much over
212 degrees at full hot, which is not really that hot compared to modern
engines.  but if it's boiling over, you need to do some work to get it
cooling better!  Of course, check the easy things like making sure the
lower hose has a spring in it so it does not collapse; make sure the
water pump impeller is not loose or corroded away; make sure the fan is
on correctly and not backwards; look down in the radiator as best you
can and see if it's full of rusty mud; check that the thermostat is
working, you should be ok with a 180 degree stat; make sure the radiator
cap seals and holds pressure, but NOT more than about 7 psi or the tanks
will blow up!

> - - what ideas to replace/repair the stock type oil filter ass. im thinking a
> remote fram spin-on type. OR where do you get filters?

Don't know about getting filters, I expect there are sources such as the
old truck parts places, or perhaps even NAPA.  The spin on filters are
designed for full flow oiling, which the 235 is not set up for, you'd
need to reduce the huge fittings on the Fram filter adapter down to the
tiny 1/8" pipe fittings used on the engine.  The original 235 filter is
a bypass type, meaning it filters just a little bit of the oil and sends
the filtered oil back to the pan; the bearings and stuff get straight
unfiltered oil!  Things have changed since then.

> - -what fan belt size for stock water pump/crank but modern alt? i ended up
> with a 15405 but its just a tad long but any shorter would be real hard to
> put on...

You may need to do some welding to extend the adjusting bracket?  Or
perhaps move the lower pivot away from the block some.

> - -what ideas to fix/check the stock turn signal column switch?

A good understanding of how they work would help, I've explained it in
the past, you might want to go to chevytrucks.org and search the
archives.

> - -these are stock 12V right?

Yes.

> - -can anyone scan/send me a reprint of the stock wiring schematic?

Maybe...email me if no one else comes thru with one.

> THANK YOU!!  my main expierience is with AD and never with a stock
> runner.... always new wires and new motor-thiis is fun and a good learning
> expierience...
> mark

Jim F
59s in AZ