Re: [oletrucks] 235 wisdom

To: "J Forbes" <jforbes2@mindspring.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 235 wisdom
From: "Bob KNOTTS" <raknotts@qwest.net>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 18:10:06 -0700
If you have any concerns abt overheating, I'd have the engine back flushed.
Any decent garage should be able to do this for you. You also used to be
able to buy a kit put out by Prestone that lets you do it yourself. It
consisted of a fitting to go into your heater hose so you can flush the old
coolant out. Then I used to put fresh water with a radiator cleaner sold by
Prestone and other sources, run the engine the suggested time, then flush
the cooling system until ALL of the cleaner is gone. I used to take off the
bottom radiator hose to make sure everything drained. I think you have to
fill and drain the system a couple of times. Then put in a 50/50 mix of
anti-freeze and water. The motor pool of the state entity I used to work at
used distilled water, but if your system is already filled with minerals,
that won't help much. But it definitely is a good idea if you have a newly
cleaned (read rebuilt) engine. Also keep in mind that with a 50/50 mixture
of coolant (or whatever is called for on your engine) and a pressurized
system, the coolant will NOT boil at 212 degrees. You can find a table ,
maybe on the anti-freeze jug, that tells you what the boiling temperature is
with the proper mix and 7 PSI pressurized system. I'm not sure abt the
do-it-yourself cooling system cleaners. I haven't done my own for the last
several years. If you're concerned abt scale (mineral) buildup, and you
garage says "Don't worry, you don't need distilled water in the system",
keep in mind that it's not HIS system. It may be too much trouble for him to
put in distilled water. Bob K in PHX