Re: [oletrucks] TF brake adjustment

To: lajones@uswest.net, napco4x4@yahoogroups.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] TF brake adjustment
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 19:33:12 -0500
Larry:

Even though you've had the drums turned, the brake pads may not be truly
round (more like an ellipse or egg shaped).  I could also be that when you
removed the drums you may have bumped the brake shoes off their original
location.  I would try adjusting them as originally instructed (until you
feel a slight drag, them back off 1-2 notches).  Then with the truck up on
blocks or stands and the wheels/tires back on (for the added weight and
momentum), have someone apply the brakes as you spin each tire individually.
  If one or more wheels does not stop or if you notice it takes considerably
more pedal travel than before, you may have to readjust the brakes.  If you
do readjust, be careful!  Adjusting the shoes too close to the drums will
lead to premature brake lining wear-out and/or hot/warped drums from
excessive heat.  Hope this helps.

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy TF Stepside
Pontiac, IL