RE: [oletrucks] 265 or 283

To: <CLLLSLS@aol.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>, <napco4x4@egroups.com>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] 265 or 283
From: "rkinas" <rkinas@ctinet.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 08:34:06 -0400
Hey Dustin,

The 283 came out in 58. I located a correct date stamped 59 283 for my
truck and rebuilt it. I have yet to find a correct Hydra-matic
transmission though, so in the mean time I am mating the engine up to a
Turbo 350. The only problem with this setup is that with the front
engine mounts on the 283, the original transmission would mount just
behind the engine as opposed to the 350 which is tail shaft mounted.
This provides a long three point mount system which allows the engine to
move way to much. My solution was to find an original hydra-matic
transmission cross member. These are pretty hard to come across and I
just got lucky. This member comes in three pieces, with the center
section dropping out to allow the transmission to be rotated in place
then bolted in place. Although the original mounting location puts the
cross-member just at the front of the pan, which it will no clear, I
decided to not use for now the center section and instead create some
angle brackets which mount to the bell housing and attach to the side
brackets via rubber bushings. This prevents the lateral movement of the
engine.

Rich Kinas
59 Fleetside
Orlando, FL