RE: [oletrucks] battery problems

To: "John Howard" <debjonjd@vianet.ca>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] battery problems
From: "Hanlon, Bill (ISS Houston)" <Bill.Hanlon@hp.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 08:41:10 -0500
I did this to a friends 1960 Falcon back in 63 or 64.  He had left his lights
on overnight and completely drained the battery.  I hooked up a battery charger
that had a circuit that made sure you didn't hook it up backwards which I had.
The circuit worked by reading battery voltage, and refusing to charge if it
read "backwards".  However if the battery was really dead it had an "override"
button to get it to begin charging.

I held the override for a minute or so and then the charger took over and
charged the battery up backwards.  Lights worked fine but starter turned the
wrong way and the radio didn't play.  Finally figured out what I had done
wrong, turned the lights on, drained the battery again, hooked the charger up
the right way, ran it for a while and all was well.

Any chance your friend has changed either his generator or voltage regulator
lately?
If so, did he "flash" his generator?