[oletrucks] Steering and brakes problems...

To: the_hams@hotmail.com
Subject: [oletrucks] Steering and brakes problems...
From: Spinningroach@aol.com
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 00:53:28 -0400
Carl, this was a quick answer! thank you!

Yes I read the mails concerning your brakes problems. I have exactly the same
problem on my truck right now. I did bleed the brakes twice, but the problem
remained the same.

The truck has the standart brake drums fitted with a firewall power brake dual
reservoir and assistance outlet (from a GM donor car I believe). The brakes
were really powerful with this combination, and I never encountered any
problems until I let my truck stay in a garage for 6 month without using it at
all (except for the engine running once in a while).

I immediately noticed I was immediately pulling right when braking (the mean
beast seems to aim straight at the walls).

The brake reservoir was almost empty (one of its sides was empty), and no
bleeding cured the problem (I recall noticing that on the driver's side the
fluid did not come out as easy as on the other side when we performed the
bleeding operation). Right now, there's no more leak and the reservoir remains
full, but the problem remains as bad as it was: I had a leak somewhere, it
stopped, but there is probably something damaged that does not work as well as
it should and I believe this is where my problem comes from.

I'm considering changing the driver's side (front) wheel master cylinder and
giving a closer attention to the hoses too...hope this works... You bet I read
all the mails about the subject with a deep interest (thanks to the
contributors)...I'll keep you informed! JP