Re: [oletrucks] Power Steering in a 55 second series

To: cramey@earthlink.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Power Steering in a 55 second series
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 22:57:10 -0500
Claude:

My complements on an excellent job of documenting what it took to do your
conversion.  I too used the Chevy Duty kit and found their pitman arm worked
great (although I lowered my front end by removing two leafs from the front
springs).  Maybe that's why the Chevy Duty pitman arm worked so well with my
set up.  One especially frustrating part for me was having to remove the
steering column(several times) and finding it was too long (I had more than
30 degrees on my steering shaft joints which caused them to 'catch' when I
turned the wheel).  I finally cut almost eight inches off the length of my
late 80's Pontiac Gran Prix steering column to get the  steering shaft
joints down to below 30 degrees.  Now I know why so many who have done this
conversion prefer to use steering columns from GM minivans (they are much
shorter).

You didn't give much detail about the power steering pump, I had some major
hassles getting the correct engine mounting brackets, crank mounted belt
pulleys and water pump pulleys.  I also had to move my radiator mounting
bracket four inches towards the front to get all the new pulleys, brackets
and flex fan to fit.  Overall it was alot more work and tinkering to get
everything to work out than I had originally thought (or the installation
instructions from the vendor led me to believe).  I'm very pleased with the
outcome and would do it again.

Again, well done!!

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy TF Stepside