Re: [oletrucks] new here-questions about my 54 2 ton truck

To: <SnotMe80@aol.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] new here-questions about my 54 2 ton truck
From: "Gary Perry" <glperry@fwi.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 11:41:05 -0500
Yes, the wheels will fit, hub size and all on the 54 and up. 53 and earlier
will bolt up, hubs are too small and don't
rest on wheels. My 54 has them. Look at www.stovebolt.com and in the Gallery
is my truck, Green of course.
No V-8 will "drop-in" as had none then. You can get kits to put one in p/up,
should be same for yours. Trans will bolt up to later housing till 67, when
they went bigger center hole and newer trans. I would find the b/house from
a 55-57 Car or truck with V-8 as it has ears to mount to frame in same place
as six did. You will have to make front mounts or side for engine.
  12 volts requires diff gen or better an alternator (I used one-wire on
mine), 12v coil, all the bulbs, including headlights to 12volt type, heater
motor or volt reducer for that, gas gauge needs reducer or it will burn out
right now. Starter is fine on 12v and don't have to change, goes faster!
Myself, believe you should keep the 235 and repair or rebuild. It's a good
engine, has better bearings than older ones, and it FITS now, with no big
problems! Even if you just drop  rings and a valve job in it, it may run
fine for quite awhile.

G. L. Perry
Huntington, IN 46750
glperry@fwi.com