[oletrucks] Re: OD Transmission

To: bmdumkee@auroranet.nt.ca
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: OD Transmission
From: mark@noakes.com
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2002 12:49:06 -0800 (PST)
Blaine,

I'm not sure how common they were on the trucks, but the 3 speed OD I have is
the
original equipment for GM cars and trucks in the 50s (it's a Borg-Warner).
They are
getting pretty hard to find; seems like I have seen them in Hemmings for sale
though.

Controls are electro-mechanical...governor, choke-like manual cable, solenoid,
switches...etc.; however, I have collected pretty extensive documentation on
these along
with several alternate hookup setups including one that is all manual.  I will
be going
with a scheme that is something in between since I want more control over what
is going
on than the full setup.  My brother has been collecting parts for years (NOS
relays, etc
hard to come by) so he can put one of these behind his 57 farm truck's 235.

The caveats that I've heard with these are that they were really made for the
sixes and
not for V8s and certainly not for hopped up 8s, so I'm going very low key on my
V8 setup
for this truck...more for gas mileage and low end torque...which could still be
problem for the transmission.  (Other people say they'll do fine with hp but
everyone's
definition of adequate hp is different too.)

There are other options, but I like the old retro h/w when I can get it/use it;
I work
in a high tech field and I enjoy going retro on my trucks as a contrast...at
least
that's the only excuse I can think of at the moment...

Mark Noakes

bmdumkee@auroranet.nt.ca wrote:

> Mark
>
> I noticed in your signature that your Sub has an OD transmission. Is it
>factory?
>
> I am interested in an OD transmission for my 59 GMC (factory 235 3 speed).
>
> Were factory overdrive transmisions available?  Where they mechanical or
>electric?
>
> How rare are they? If found, how hard of a switch is it?
>
> Anyone happen to have one for sale that would just 'bolt' into my 59?
>
> Blaine
> From: mark@noakes.com
> Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2002 08:45:17 -0800 (PST)
> To: "NAPCO_trucks" <napco4x4@yahoogroups.com>,
>    "Ole_Trucks"
>   <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
> Subject: [oletrucks] GMC retro speed equipment
>
> I picked up a GMC speed manual from early 1955 on E**y.  It is all about
>hotrodding GMC
> sixes and references GMC part numbers and brands for alternate heads,
>intakes, and
> exhausts such as Fisher, McGurk, and Nicson.  Setups range from 1 to 5 carbs.
> Since
> I've been wanting to stick with retro/period performance products on my 58
>NAPCO, I'd
> like to try to find/build some of this stuff.  I especially found this
>interesting as
> I've been told that there was no speed equipment for the GMCs.
>
> If anyone needs any info or has any leads on parts (Mc Gurk, Nicson, Fisher),
>let me
> know and we'll sort thru the book.  I'd like to eventually scan the book and
>post it
but