Re: [oletrucks] 51 Chevy 1/2 ton

To: Ayelander52@aol.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 51 Chevy 1/2 ton
From: Mask1966@aol.com
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 17:35:44 EST
In a message dated 12/10/2002 4:24:00 PM Central Standard Time,
Ayelander52@aol.com writes:

> The truck has a 12 volt battery and starter.  Can't tell if the coil has a
> resistor.
> If it did, would I still have to put resistors in line to all other uses?
> Can't find any in-line resistors anywhere and the light and some dash
> instruments still work.  The lights don't seem to burn too brightly because
>
> of the 12 volts.  Any good literature out there on conversions to 12 volt?

The only dash instrument that should be effected by the change to 12 volts is
the gas gauge.  It needs a resistor in series with the gauge.  the ammeter,
doesn't care about voltage and the oil and temp gauges are strictly
mechanical.  The dim lights may be due to poor or corroded connections,
especially the grounds.  Clean and tighten all electrical connections and
check out all bulbs for 12V markings.  Is there a 12 volt generator
(alternator) too?

Mike Klepp
'48 3100 5 window
'65 C-10 stepside