[oletrucks] 51 Chevy 1/2 ton

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] 51 Chevy 1/2 ton
From: Ayelander52@aol.com
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 17:21:25 EST
Hello:

I am a first time user and the new owner of a 51 Chevy 1/2 ton.  Body is in
great shape with an interior that needs major work.  Also a bed restoration
is planned.
As I have been researching old trucks I am getting more questions than
answers.
Firstly:  The truck has a 12 volt battery and starter.  Can't tell if the
coil has a resistor.
If it did, would I still have to put resistors in line to all other uses?
Can't find any in-line resistors anywhere and the light and some dash
instruments still work.  The lights don't seem to burn too brightly because
of the 12 volts.  Any good literature out there on conversions to 12 volt?

Secondly:  The title says 1951.  The side markers say Chevrolet Thriftmaster.
 According to the Shop Manual I ordered, it says the Thriftmaster was the
1948 Designation. 1949-51 was supposed to be the 3100.  Is there such a thing
as a 1951 Thriftmaster?  Unfortunately there are no data plates left on the
truck anywhere.  Any other markers that can be checked to determine the exact
year?

ayelander52@aol.com
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton.