[oletrucks] 261 Questions

To: <old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] 261 Questions
From: "Deve Krehbiel" <dkrehbiel@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 11:49:16 -0600
Ok all you genius's out there! Now is your chance to show the world how
smart you are on the 261 engine. I know you can do it! ;)

1) On the 235, inside the SIDE cover, there is a stretch of tubing that goes
behind the push rods from one point to the other. On my 261, those fittings
are capped and there is no tubing. This bothers me. What is that tube for
and should I make one and install it?

2) Can someone take a very nice picture of the manifold side of the 261 (or
explain in detail) how the oil lines go. There are two 1/2" or so holes in
the block and then beside one of them is a smaller opening with a fitting
cap over it. I am going to put a spin on filter rig on it and need to know
how to set it up. Its different than the 235 and you will ruin the engine if
you set it up that way.

3) My road tube is bent to hell and I need a new one. Does anyone have one
they can part with that is in really good condition? Is there a PVC solution
that a person could use and replace the road tube with something more
efficient? I am an original freak normally, but since the part is bad
thought I would ask.

4) I am using the 235 head and the machine shop drilled the steam holes in
it so all should be fine. Do you normally use the copper gasket sealer on
the head gasket?

5) I asked the machinist what I could do to improve the performance of the
engine. He wasnt thrilled about performance cams but said the best thing I
could do was to go with hydraulic lifters and new rods. I took his advice
because I have seen the difference that makes. Not performance boost as much
as makes the engine quieter. Does anyone have experience with hydraulic
lifters? If so, do you have to inject oil in them when they are new to get
them started, or how does the hydraulic aspect work?

That should do it for now. Thanks alot in advance!

Deve
www.speedprint.com/Deves50