Re: [oletrucks] Alternator conversion

To: Mask1966@aol.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Alternator conversion
From: Tom3600@webtv.net
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 09:56:54 -0600 (CST)
Mike ~

Just tell your parts man (FLAPS) that you want a GM one wire alternator.
Any GM auto (Chevy) from 1972-1985 should work.  The one wire goes to
the BATT. terminal on your voltage regulator.  ( you do not need the
"DA" plug that is sometimes recommended)  The other two wires are just
taped off and then you can discard the regulator.  You will need to get
a new alternator bracket from Carter, Patricks or other vendor.  It is
possible to fabricate a bracket using a longer mounting bolt and several
washers to line it up.  I was able to find an alternator with a pulley
that was compatible with my stock 235 pulleys.

Tom

Tom Poterack
Moline, IL.
Z49 Chevy Pickup Retro Rod