Re: [oletrucks] Alternator conversion

To: <Mask1966@aol.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Alternator conversion
From: "Gary Perry" <glperry@fwi.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 18:12:39 -0500
Think it's called an S-10 or maybe 10S model.  Used till about 84. Real
early ones have to have a regulator still, later ones have internal reg. Not
sure the year break for those. THEN, you need to find a "self-exciting"
regulator for it if it's not a "one-wire" advertised unit. Lots of times
they are just don't say on box. All you'll need to hook it up is a 10 gauge
wire off the big screw in back and run it to the positive batt cable at the
starter. The batt cable continues the route to the battery for charging. OR,
if you have one of those pos cables with the extra wire on it, unused, can
hook to it.  I removed the regulator on my 54 and hooked the two big red
wires together and that kept my ammeter running. And it DOES take a little
revving to get the alt to start charging, but will charge at idle afterthat.
It's only about 1200 rpm or so needed, just a slight "blip" on peddle will
do it.
  ON the mount, I use the gen mount and cut off back upright and weld it
closer to alt and use big bolt, like stock set-ups. It's best to use a small
spacer or washers there to allow the alt to come out easy if removing it
later. You must also redrill holes or make slots in orig mount holes on
bracket where it bolts to engine to allow you to move it out farther than
stock to align belt. You can take a wide belt gen pulley and use it on alt
if you have a wider belt. It has a keyway, not on the alt shaft tho but is
same size shaft. It works, that's what I have on mine.

G. L. Perry
Huntington, IN 46750
glperry@fwi.com
Big AD trucks, COE