[oletrucks] 700R4

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] 700R4
From: mark <ccpanel@jps.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 23:14:24 -0800
i run a 700r4 in my 4000# 51 panel with a mild 305 and a 3.42 rear with
255/60-15 tires.
i had a pheonix tranny made up for me but i think they skimped on the
lock-up converter cuase i barely got 20,000 miles out of it before the
converter grenaded with no warning and scattered shrapnel through my
tranny-effectivly ending its career. i was past the 2 years though and
couldnt get them to respond.
        i did go in and out of lock-up a lot and i drove fast and hard.
also-i rushed the build. but.. i had a tranny cooler and when i had them
build it-i told them all those specs and i told them my motor made 300
horse(which i doubt it does). i had them give me a stock converter stall
speed. im not racing-i just wanted max MPG....
        so.. i stuck my 200$ wrecking yard 700r4 with no lock-up back in the
panel(i got it from the wrecking yard-an '89 and then promptly put 30,000 on
it in less than 18 months) and its been running it ever since. i think its
slippin a little-thats why the new one-but im still driving it and so
far...knock..knock... its working.
        i still would put another one back in with no thought at all-BUT...
i would get it built to the hilt. the other one was suppose dto have the
corvette pump.. extra clutch packs... metal gears.... im sure it did but the
tranny shop that did a free teardown(out of car) told me the converter took
out the pump and then the rest of the thing. nothing to save.
ramble... ramble...
mark

  http://pweb.jps.net/~woodson