[oletrucks] 261 Help Needed

To: <old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] 261 Help Needed
From: "Deve Krehbiel" <dkrehbiel@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 10:16:06 -0600
I am in the final stages of assembly on my 261 and I need absolute
verification of something. I asked this before but wasnt real comfortable
with the response I got. Someone please confirm...

In the SIDE COVER area of the block, there is two capped off oil line holes.
When I recently rebuilt a 235, those holes were not capped, but a piece of
tubing went from one hole to the other. The first hole is on the bottom of
the side cover area in the very back (close to a cam bearing) and the other
is in the center near the top where the oiler for the rocker assembly is.
This is a different block than the one I originally started with, so I am
not certain if there was a tube there or not. I want to be absolutely
certain that its okay to have those holes capped off.

Can someone explain to me what those two holes do? Which is inlet and which
is outlet and where the oil flows to? Its a 1959 model 261. The shop manual
is no help. The other curious thing what I would appreciate a comment on is
the rocker assemblies oil flow tube (the one that is in the center and flows
over and around the rocker assembly). The head has a threaded hole, but the
rocker assembly tube isnt threaded it just sits in the hole. How tight does
that have to be? Its pretty loose and I would think that would curtail the
oils ability to make it where it needs to go? What to do to fix if
necessary?

Also, need an opinion..

On the road draft tube.. I trashed it (wasnt any good anyhow) and took a
1-1/4" freeze plug, a grommet that fits that freeze plug perfectly, drilled
a hole in the freeze plug and installed a PVC Valve. I am quite impressed
with how it all went together BUT.. If I hook this PVC valve to the intake
manifolds vacuum hookup, what is your expert opinion on what will happen? Is
that too much vacuum and it will suck oil into the intake? Is it too much
vacuum for the lower part of the engine thus causing a larger than would be
desired vacuum in the lower engine?

Merry Merry Christmas to all you guys! Its been a great year being
associated with you.

Deve
www.speedprint.com/Deves50