Re: [oletrucks] 283 question - RPO 354

To: "kirk pierce" <kpierce@charter.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 283 question - RPO 354
From: "joe" <chevy1@jps.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 08:24:02 -0800
Funny story about that little 283 engine.  In the early 70's my brother
finally talked the neighbor into selling this little chopped and channeled
34 ford p.u. that he had in the backyard.  The neighbor only drove the truck
like 3 times a year to the end of the street and back into the garage.  I
guess he got tired of my brother asking him if he wanted to sell it and
finally told my brother....."when you going to buy this truck off me"?  My
brother went straight to the bank and got the money and was one happy
camper.  Luckily for us the truck had what turned out to be an early Vette
283 but not stock but we didn't know how "non stock it would turn out to
be"!  After the motor chewed up two rearend and two different Muncie 4-spd
trannys it was time to freshen up the little motor.  We pulled the Double
camel hump heads off 194 fulies we were told and had them rebuilt.  The
suprise was when the heads came off to see these giant dome top pistons
staring right at us.  These pistons turned out to be Jahns "spelling" 11.5:1
dome top pistons.  The cam was a solid lifter model and had a double roller
time chain.   The engine has an Offenhauser aluminum intake with a Holley
750 cfm carburetor and it actually required a 50 cc squirter to eliminate a
bog off idle.  Not a rough idle but it lets you know that its not stock.

Joe