Re: [oletrucks] Workshop Floor Ideas?

To: Chico Woodhill <chico_woodhill@punkass.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Workshop Floor Ideas?
From: Roger.Gleason@uconn.edu
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 12:13:14 -0500
Chico
If you live in the frost land then the minimum thickness would be 6" thick
over at least 12" of  good draining material such as sand or gravel. Dirt
would not be good to set concrete on if you are going to point load it such
as with a jack. If the cost includes the gravel then its probably a fair
price. Your talking about 12 cubic yards of concrete that probably runs
about $75 a yard. So the material costs with wire mesh would be about
$1000.00. Labor to place it should be twice the cost of material so that
would be another $2000. It should take a crew of 3 to 4 to place it and
finish it. You might have to excavate the dirt below grade 18 " to prepare
for the gravel/sand and concrete. Naturally you would need forms
surrounding it and screeds put in place to keep it level in the center.
These add to the cost. If the contractor wants to make a profit he will
have overhead charges. All in all, I think this is a fair price for a turn
key slab but if you wanted to do it yourself and were handy at building
forms with salvaged lumber then you could cut the cost at least in half.
You could also rent a whirly bird that finishes the concrete but knowing
how to work it and when to get on the slab to finish it would require some
knowledge. Being that its an outside temporary building without a
foundation I think you could get a decent slab to work on if you had some
good friends that are handy. Reward them with a couple of beers but only
after the work is done. :-)
Roger
51 3100 AD Huckster

                      Chico Woodhill

                      <chico_woodhill@pun        To:       oletrucks list
<oletrucks@autox.team.net>
                      kass.com>                  cc:

                      Sent by:                   Subject:  [oletrucks] Workshop
Floor Ideas?
                      owner-oletrucks@aut

                      ox.team.net

                      12/30/02 04:55 PM

                      Please respond to

                      Chico Woodhill

Any good ideas for workshop flooring material?

I've got a former greenhouse (20' x 30') that I've covered with a
weatherproof fabric especially designed for buildings. But the ground is
hard-packed dirt. I had one guy estimate $4000 to put rebar and a concrete
floor in. He said he had to pump the concrete in because the building was
already constructed.

Does that price sound right?  Ouch.

Any other ideas for cost-effective over-dirt flooring? Is concrete to only
way to go, or could there be a less expensive but happy alternative?

I wanna get to work on my '49 3100!

Chico Woodhill
chico_woodhill@punkass.com