Re: [oletrucks] steering box, TF truck

To: "OLETRUCK list" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] steering box, TF truck
From: "Mike Boteler" <boteler@olg.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 22:47:39 -0500
Going on memory....

The up and down play in the steering shaft is corrected by tightening the
adjuster at the bottom of the box (there should be very little up and down
play at the steering wheel when it's adjusted right).

The pitman shaft is adjusted by backing off on the jam nut (on the side of
the box) and then turning the stud/bolt in or out until most of the play is
out.  Be careful not to over adjust, you will bind the steering shaft making
it hard to turn.  The shop manual has the complete procedure spelled out.  I
think this adjustment requires the use of a "fish scale" to correctly adjust
the amount of pull at the steering wheel.

If this isn't right I'm sure someone will set me straight!  :)

Mike Boteler
'56 4400 Stake
'56 6400 Stake
'56 8400 Wrecker