Re: [oletrucks] AD bed angle strips

To: "Mark Self" <mark.self@verizon.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] AD bed angle strips
From: "Doug Pewterbaugh" <dpewter@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 21:58:03 -0600
There have been many discussions on this in the past.  The old ones are best
removed using a spot weld drill bit (a special bit for drilling out spot
welds, I'm told-I don't know the tool personally).  Then fill in and/or
clean up the holes/marks left on the bed sides; drill from the strip side,
so as to do the least damage to the bed sides).  I feel it is best to remove
the strips rather than cover them because they usually have trapped a lot of
moisture over their lifetime & will have a lot of rust underneath them; the
bed sides will usually be pitted where the strips were.  Attaching the new
SS strips CAN be done with screws & nuts, but that isn't going to look very
natural.  Some members (if I remember correctly) have used Super glue to do
the job.  That is probably what I will use.  I'm sure some have spot welded
the new SS strips on, but that has the risk of "blueing" the SS from the
heat (& it is going to leave spot weld "scars" too; the glue won't do that).
Let us know what you decide & how it comes out.

Regards,
Doug Pewterbaugh
dpewter@msn.com
Denton, TX