[oletrucks] 9" rear end

To: Oletrucks Mail List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] 9" rear end
From: Rick Carlisle <rcarlisle@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2003 12:00:46 -0600
Thanks to all who responded to my question about 9" vs. 8" rear ends.  To
summarize, it seems the 9" rears are considered almost indestructible,
especially desired with high horsepower.  But they are hard to find.  My friend
locally who is helping me confirmed he has been unable to find one.

Also, it seems an 8" or 8 7/8" would work fine, especially since I will be
running an LS-1, most likely, with no more than 400 HP, plus a 700 R4.

For those interested, my truck is now completely torn down and we are about to
build the suspension and drivetrain.  We are going with Air Ride tri-angulated
4 bar w/Shockwaves on the rear and Shockwaves on the front.  I have previously
installed a Heidt's SuperRide on the front.  As indicated, I am debating on an
LS-1 or LT-1 engine.  I previously thought I would do a Fast Burn 385 with Ram
Induction but am going for a very modern look with my truck and feel you just
can't beat the smooth look of the LS or LT engines.

I bought my truck from a fellow member of this group. Larry Winters.  When we
first started conversing about the truck, Larry indicated there was little rust
and the truck was, basically, in very good condition.  I just want to
acknowledge Larry and say after tearing the truck apart, I was amazed at how
good the condition is of the sheet metal in this truck.  Except for the bed,
which Larry acknowledged was the worst, the truck is in great shape.  Very
little needs to be down  as far as patch panels, etc.  I am very grateful for
that.

Again, thanks very much to the group for your help with my question.

Rick Carlisle
57 3100