Re: [oletrucks] IFS to Frame

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] IFS to Frame
From: "Bobby D Keeland" <bob_keeland@usgs.gov>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 10:35:15 -0600
I'm having the same questions about an 85 silverado IFS that I am
considering for my 51 3/4 ton. I'm leaning toward the spacers because if I
cut the crossmember I will have to narrow the tie-rods and sway bar also.
Even with the spacers, the existing motor mounts will not work.  In the
articles I have seen on using these later bolt in IFSs in old trucks, no
one ever mentions problems with motor mounts and other issues.  Any help to
Wayne's request below would also be appreciated by me.

BobK
51 3600 5-window (in pieces)
Arnaudville, LA

                      "Wayne Roworth"

                      <wroworth@hotmail.c        To:       "oletrucks list"
<oletrucks@autox.team.net>
                      om>                        cc:

                      Sent by:                   Subject:  [oletrucks] IFS to
Frame
                      owner-oletrucks@aut

                      ox.team.net

                      02/09/03 12:08 PM

                      Please respond to

                      "Wayne Roworth"

Hello All,

Once again I go to the "book of knowledge".

I'm the guy installing the '80 3/4 ton IFS into my '47 1 ton panel.
The old suspension and steering box is off the panel. If anyone is
interested
email me. I live on the gulf coast of Florida.
I have run into a snag and am looking for advice.
First the frame braces are too wide to fit in the inside of the stock frame
rail. In addition, they interfere with the current engine mounts holding a
400
chevy small block. Should I have new frame braces made? If so, how should
they
be fashioned? The donor ones are oddly shaped probably for strength. I
could
have them made when I go to a metal fabricator to get the spacers and
doubler
plate made.

What do you think?

Wayne