Re: [oletrucks] Engine colors

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Engine colors
From: mark@noakes.com
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 12:54:26 -0800 (PST)
You didn't say if it was 6 or 8 cylinders that you were interested in.

You'll get lots of arguments on this one, but the proper color is gray for both
the 235
6 cyl and the 265/283 for 57-59.  I have the correct paint numbers that I
checked thru
both Bob Adler (Vintage Truck author and once on this list) and via the 55-58
Cameo
Society, but I'll had to dig them out at home.

I've heard varying comments on 55/56 V8 colors (orange, red, gray, green), but
the 6
cyls for those years were gray.

The car V8s were orange; it appears that all GM rebuild engines were orange and
alot of
them apparently ended up in trucks early enough in their lifetime that alot of
people
insist that it was factory original.  I do know of one 57 Cameo that came from
the
dealer with a Corvette dual-quad engine...it was orange.  Dealers these days
don't do
any swapping....back then it was pretty common though and almost anything could
end up
in anything.

Mark Noakes