RE: [oletrucks] Engine colors

To: <mark@noakes.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Engine colors
From: "Hanlon, Bill (ISS Houston)" <Bill.Hanlon@hp.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 08:34:02 -0600
As long as we are talking about engine color .....

At a local swap meet I bought a pair of aluminum aftermarket valve covers for
my 57 GMC (Pontiac) V8.  The original finish was a flat black with bare
aluminum on the edge of the fins.  This paint is flaking off.  I would like to
remove all the paint and repaint in a similar manner with orange engine paint
to match the rest of my engine.

Questions:
1.  How should I prep the aluminum surface?  Should I just remove the old paint
and leave the surface fairly rough for better paint adhesion or should I polish
the surface for a smoother look with the possibility that the paint wont stick
as well?

2.  Aluminum has a large expansion coefficient.  What paint will stick to it as
it expands and contracts?

3.  Should the paint be applied directly to the aluminum or is the a primer
that should be used first?