Re: [oletrucks] Wiper motor replacement question

To: <JohnHuntD@aol.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Wiper motor replacement question
From: "Steve Hanberg" <steve@OldSub.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 21:30:27 -0800
If the wipers on a '49 3600 are the same as a 55 1st GMC Suburban, then I'm
the guy you are hoping will respond.  Unfortunately, I don't know if they
are the same or not, but I'll take the risk and tell you what I know.

I bought the electric wiper motor from ChevyDuty and have installed it in my
55 1st GMC Suburban.

The electric motor mounted using the same bracket that the vacuum motor had.
That bracket isn't the strongest part of the stock system, and my wipers
failed when the electric motor fell out of the stock bracket.  The lesson
was to make very sure you have the screws very tight.  However, you can't
reach those screws easily.  I did not determine which wrench was going to
work before I got it up in place, and doing that laying on the floor was
fun.  I took the glove box out to make room.  That wasn't enough, so I
removed the radio from the ash tray opening (this is a GMC, the ash tray
goes right where I think the radio belongs, and so did some previous owner
who lost the ash tray and made holes for the radio).  Taking those things
out made it possible to adjust (by moving the motor in the slots in the
bracket) and then tighten the screws.

The ash tray and stuff is part I know is different on the GMC.

The connection between the electric motor and the rods that move the wipers
was as easy as advertised.  I went ahead and bought the replacement stock
type clips and felt like it was a good idea, but may not have been required.
No problem on this part.

The electric switch mounts easily where the stock wiper switch was located.
And the electrical connection was pretty straight forward.  They emphasize
that you need a good ground, and everyone I've talked to says its true.  I
didn't try it without.

I had a problem with the wipers.  They worked when the rods to the blades
were not connected, but did not work as soon as I connected those rods.  If
I remember right, the problem was that I could not turn the wipers off.  If
they were off, and I turned them on, they would only stop if I disconnected
the power.  I was able to reach the manufacturer and they told me how to
make an adjustment that corrected that problem.

I work in technology, and the computer and software industries could learn
from their support.  I called and left a message on a Sunday.  Their message
was clear that I'd get a call back during business hours.  I got that call
before 8 am my time.  The first call was someone who asked some questions.
Just a few minutes later (no waiting on hold) I got a second call from
someone else who was able to quickly explain the solution.  And the solution
worked.  They weren't as fast as I might have liked, but they told me what
to expect at every step, and they did what they said they would do.

I did describe that problem and the resolution in a dialog in this group, so
while the details are no longer clear in my head, they could be in the
archive.

The electric wipers are a huge improvement over the vacuum wipers.  I live
near Seattle, and though our rainfall is often exaggerated, rain is a
frequent occurrence and the vacuum wipers were almost unusable.  My commute
includes a mile long grade where I did not feel safe driving in the rain.
It was awful, and that problem is solved.  On the other side, I'm not
satisfied with the sweep of the electric wipers, and I'd be interested in
other options for the other AD truck I'm working on.  However, my budget for
that truck currently includes buying this same motor, and I won't hesitate
to buy it instead of running the vacuum system.

ChevyDuty also has new wiper arms and the chrome pieces and gaskets that go
on the outside of the truck.  Once I'd done the wiper motor I wished I had
done that at the same time.  I've since ordered all the parts, and now,
months later still haven't put them on....

Thanks for asking a question I could answer in detail.