Re: [oletrucks] Floor mounted parking brake for 55 3/4T

To: boteler@olg.com, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Floor mounted parking brake for 55 3/4T
From: HortArk@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 13:02:55 EST
Mike,

Thanks for the reply to my posting. In responce to your question I have the
original 4 speed with "Granny" first gear. It seems that I need many parts
associated with the floor mounted parking brake. Talked to Steve (used parts,
Jim Carter Truck Parts Inc.) and he mentioned the back plate (bearing
retainer) from the transmission, brake and associated linkage, yoke, and
modified driveshaft. We also discussed the safety concerns. He drives a 1 ton
at work and described the effort to reach to the right and forward of the
shift lever to apply the brake (very distracting when driving) as well as the
effect of attempting to stop a vehicle with a driveshaft brake (force applied
to driveshaft, u-joints, ring and pinion, etc....). Since safety is my first
concern, I will pursue modification of the cable-type emergency brake on this
truck. Problem is the PO shortened the frame (about 9 inches of frame length
removed) between the crossmember that supports the idler lever and the spring
perches (where brake cables enter from rear wheels). Geometry for cables is
all wrong now. If you have any suggestion they would be greatly appreciated.
Also I am interesting in finding a vacuum brake booster (Hydrovac?) and
hydraulic steering equipment (Regular Production Option #350), do you have
any.

Regards,
Christopher Lake