Re: [oletrucks] Floor mounted parking brake for 55 3/4T

To: <HortArk@aol.com>, <boteler@olg.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Floor mounted parking brake for 55 3/4T
From: "G. L. Perry" <glperry@fwi.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 11:51:53 -0500
Chris, the "emergency" brake is really a "parking" brake. You don't use it
as back-up normally! It's a little harder to reach, but you should be
stopped when doing that, not driving!  I just had a one-ton dually (50) that
I put rear brakes on. I needed new cables. I could find the cables with same
hardware only for one-ton trucks. They looked the same, only were shorter.
So, if you have shorter frame now, I"m thinking your fine with the 1/2-ton
cables. Best check that out. All the hardware should be same.  ON the rear
brake on that trans....Yes, it will need a diff rear cover, a flat "yoke"
mounting for driveshaft. Iron to mount the brake band, small dish like part
to cover u-joint and adjusters, linkages and such. If you have an Assembly
Manual it shows the trannies and parts in it. Also, requires a two peice
driveshaft with a mid bearing and slip joint there. The joint on trans is
solidly bolted to that flat flange on it. You should be able to find a whole
trans in up to a 2 ton truck and be same. You will also need the floor pan
or cut a slot in yours to allow lever to come thru. Any size truck pan fits.

G. L. Perry
Huntington, IN 46750
glperry@fwi.com
Big AD trucks, COE