Re: [oletrucks] gen to alt wiring

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] gen to alt wiring
From: Bruce Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 08:54:00 -0500
You have the old externally regulated GM alternator.  It puts out
about 40 amps max but is a good reliable unit.  I have on on my F**d
Tractor and it is OEM on my 65 Buick.

First, you will need an external regulator.  Any GM car or truck
that has this alternator (about 61 or 62 to 72 or so) will have one.
NAPA should have them too.  They look and work sort of like the
voltage regulators on the generators but are not the same.  NAPA
should have the regulators.

For wiring, any service manual from the era will have a wiring diagram.
If you need one, I can scan one from my 65 Buick manual and email
to you directly.

For $60 or so, NAPA carries a rebuilt GM one wire with a V belt sheave
that is mechanically a drop in replacement.  I would switch to that,
but it is not my truck.  The wiring on that one is easy.  Hook the
big lug on the back up to the + post on the battery with a 10 or
8 guage wire.

Bruce K
57 3200
Mt. Iron, MN

At Wednesday, 16 April 2003, you wrote:

>ok, I've done some searching, and all I've come up with is info
for changing
>to a 1 wire alternator.  The one I have is the old style, 3 wires
out of the
>same '66 pickup that the 327 came out of.  I'm assuming the big
wire on top
>has to go to the battery, but the 2 smaller ones with a plug in
I'm not sure