Re: [oletrucks] gen to alt wiring

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] gen to alt wiring
From: Bruce Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 13:00:00 -0500
Alternators put out 40 or more amps at highway speed and will charge
the battery slowly at idle.  The generators they replaced could only
put out 10 to 20 amps at most and would not charge at all while idling
unless you got an extended range generator.  Commercial trucks and
police cars with two way radios usually got the extended range generators
as an option so that the battery would stay charged when the radio
was on.

A lag on start up is normal for the externally regulated, two wire,
and one wire alternators if they don't spin fast enough at idle.
They need to build to the vattery back voltage from the residual
magnetic field in the coils before they start a field current and
start making any amps.  This is done so the alternator field coils
don't drain the battery when the truck is shut off or trying to start.
Externally regulated alternators have a field relay in the regulator
to do this.  Internally regulated ones have a transistor in the regulator
block to do this.

The real cure for the delayed startup is to install a larger harmonic
balancer drive sheave on the end of the crankshaft to speed up the
alternator RPM, but that is sometimes easier said than done.  That
makes the alternator spin faster at a given engine RPM.

The alternate is to jazz the throttle a little and the alternator
will wake up.

Once it has started, an alternator will continue to produce amps
until the engine is shut off and the alternator RPM drops to zero.
At this point the alternator output voltage falls below the battery
back voltage and the field current is shut off.  This puts the alternator
to sleep.

Polarizing a one wire alternator normally has to be done only once.
Brand new alternators have virgin steel with no residual magnetic
fields in the coils.  Jumping the terminals starts a magnetic field
in the coils in the alternator and lets it start making electricity.
Once done, a residual magnetic field stays in the coils and the
alternator will start itself.  A rebuilt alternator may have a residual
field left in it and might self start the first time.

On two wire and externally regulated alternators, this excitement
voltage is always supplied by the other wires that turn on when the
key is on.  The basic diffenence is the circutry and components of
the voltage regulator and diode pack.

It sure is nice to have that alternator there.  The lights don't
go dim at stoplights, there is plenty of power for the radio, wipers,
and heater fan, the battery is always charged, and things just seem
to work better.

Bruce K
57 3200
Mt. Iron, MN

At Friday, 18 April 2003, you wrote:

>None of my one-wire alternators start charging right when the vehicle
first
>starts up "I have 3 vehicles with the One-Wire Alternators".  I have to
>increase the rpm's to something like 1000 rpms or so to get them
to show a
>charge on my volt meter.  Now  my other vehicle has a regular off
the shelf
>internal regulator alternator that isn't a one wire and it will start
>charging without having to increase the rpm's.
>
>Joe

net>
>> writes:
>> > It's true..........
>> >
>> > When the brand new One Wire is installed and doesn't charge after
>> > reaching
>> > the higher rpm's hopefully you will remember this email and
>> > appreciate this
>> > advise.  Sometimes they work with exciting the field by polarizing
>> > it and
>> > other times you have to polarize it to get it to work for the first
>> > time.
>> >
>> > Joe

1948 Ford