Re: [oletrucks] Seeking advice after ignition upgrade

To: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Seeking advice after ignition upgrade
From: "Steve Hanberg" <steve@OldSub.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 22:31:40 -0700
I don't know specifically about the Mallory, but one of the reasons for
running electronic ignition is that you can get more voltage to the plugs
with better control of the spark pulses.  Provided the Mallory accomplishes
that for you (more dwell should result in greater voltage) you'll have
higher voltage running through those wires.  With higher voltage the wires
are more likely to become a problem if they are marginal.  Wires for
electronic ignition are usually bigger (more insulation) for that reason.

You can run a larger plug gap with electronic ignition.  Its late and I
don't remember if its a good thing, or just extends time between tune-ups.
I know I've read somewhere what the reasoning is.

I can't think of any reason to change heat range of your plugs, but I
certainly don't know everything...

That's my two cents!