[oletrucks] Axle Ratios

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Axle Ratios
From: "mr55gmc" <mr55gmc@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 14:53:59 -0600
You wrote
From: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>
To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2003 3:50 AM
Subject: [oletrucks] diff ratio - donor rear end

Is it possible possible to tell the diff ratio on an 81 1-ton
dually by vin number, or some other number stamped on the
truck?

Worst case is I jack up the rear end and count revolutions but
it sure would be nice to just find the numbers somewhere!

Thanks

Brad

Back in that era I sold trucks - the axle ratios were primarily 3:73 or 4:10.
Even the emission settings affected the ratios, but the little white tag with
all the funny numbers usually inside the glove box lid should show a couple
starting with "G" - GQ1 being a "standard axle ratio" if memory serves me
correctly.  Then there is at least one other number starting with G, such as
GT4, which a parts man can quickly interpret.  If there is a G80, you lucky
devil, it is a locking rear axle.  There are also numbers on the rear axle
tube, passenger side, about even with the driveshaft entry level, that will
also decode on parts.  If not, pull the rear cover and count the teeth.
Sandy Pierce
Salt Lake City, Utah
55-2 GMC Suburban P/U