Re: [oletrucks] new look for '54

To: "OLE Trucks List" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] new look for '54
From: "Steve Hanberg" <steve@OldSub.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 12:07:27 -0700
I appreciate all the feedback from everyone!

Even if I choose to ignore some of the advice I get, I still want to hear
it.  I don't want to go into this thing having missed some important
consideration!

The design goals for this truck are:

1)  look good enough to show but not compete are area shows and cruises.
2)  reliable enough to drive to shows and cruises up to several hours away.
3)  drive easy enough that my wife will believe I built it for her
(automatic, power steering and no special considerations like being careful
of driveways).
4)  build it for a reasonable used car budget.

I can see it hauling home a few bags of groceries or maybe a couple bags of
fertilizer or such, but pulling a trailer or carrying cement blocks aren't
requirements for my planned usage.  It might haul home a fender or intake
manifold or something like that from a swap meet, but I have '72 Chevy
pickup that would haul anything dirty or heavy like a motor.  Currently it
also does trailer duty when required.

When its ready to drive my wife will probably drive it every once in a
while, like to a local cruise we often attend.  The rest of the time I'll
run it to and from work, carrying my more than 10lbs overweight body and a
computer bag.  Drop my daughter off at school on the way to work, and we're
still talking less than 400 lbs cargo.

I've got 200 yards of bad driveway, and about six speed bumps in the parking
lot at work.  I don't want to run air bags because they add complexity to
what needs to be a simple vehicle which will be driven by a dainty and
cautious wife, and possibly by teenage children, who won't be cautious
enough.

Based on what people have said, I'm worried that I may be a few inches too
low, but I need to do a little more measuring to be sure...

If I were building a show truck I think I'd go with Devin's advice and drop
it into the weeds, but that's not where I'm headed with this one.  Practical
(based on my objectives) is my plan.

Thanks guys!  More input is certainly welcome.  If I redraw the picture I'll
make it available again.