[oletrucks] tie rod ends

To: "oletrucks list" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] tie rod ends
From: "Hanlon, Bill (ISS Houston)" <bill.hanlon@hp.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 09:13:29 -0500
My 57 GMC has the original style (probably actual original) "ball" tie rod
ends.  They are getting pretty sloppy.  I took them apart over the weekend and
can see quite a bit of wear on each ball.  I will be replacing them, most
likely with the newer technology tie rod ends available from a number of the
old truck parts vendors.

The hard part is removing the old ball from the steering arm on each front
wheel.  Are there any list members that have done this?  What methods and tools
did you use?  Did you have a machine shop do the work?  Any input is
appreciated.