Re: [oletrucks] tie rod ends

To: bill.hanlon@hp.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] tie rod ends
From: Mask1966@aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 12:34:43 EDT
In a message dated 5/27/2003 9:15:39 AM Central Standard Time,
bill.hanlon@hp.com writes:

> The hard part is removing the old ball from the steering arm on each front
> wheel.  Are there any list members that have done this?  What methods and
> tools did you use?

Wayne,
   I did this to my '48 for the same reasons.  It is an improvement you will
enjoy.  To remove the balls, grind the shaft flush or a little below the
steering arm.  Then center punch and drill a hole thru the shaft about 1/2 to
3/4
inch deep.  Start small and increase the hole size up to 5/16 inch or so.  Then
a few good whacks with a flat punch ad the ball will fly across the garage.
This method worked well for me with no more than three whacks per ball.  FYI,
remove parts from the truck to do this, don't try it on the truck.  Hope this
helps.

Mike Klepp
'48 3100 5 window
'65 C-10 stepside