Re: [oletrucks] Question - can a Chevy 250 inline be used to

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Question - can a Chevy 250 inline be used to
From: mark@noakes.com
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 09:44:13 -0700 (PDT)
I think the idea is that the "package" weight using the dolly over the trailer
is
1000lbs less than using the trailer so the total mass is less and the stopping
momentum
is a little less, but you're correct on the extra hinge point quite possibly
nullifying
the supposed advantage.  The key  point is go more slowly than you would
otherwise and
keep as much distance ahead of you as possible to avoid hard braking if
possible...and
pray constantly when that is not an option...

Saying that, we've often used one of the two family single car trailers with
1/2 ton
pickups with 305 or 350 V8s but also have a 454SS in the family when necessary.
 The
305s both just have 2.73 gearing and do struggle when towing something as large
as an
old truck.  Never used a dolly.

Mark Noakes
Knoxville, TN