[oletrucks] Gas Tank Relocation - 51 3600

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Gas Tank Relocation - 51 3600
From: "R.D. Hulst" <rdhulst@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 19:49:32 -0500
I've been following the recent gas tank relocation thread with great interest
as I was planning to do this to my 51 3600 during its frame off restoration.
I thought I'd share my experience and perhaps save someone else with the less
popular 3600 models some time and frustration.

 Searching high and low through all the usual places, I ended up getting a
tank from Classic Performance Products that they said would fit.  It didn't,
and they've been very helpful in arranging and paying for the return of the
tank (and sender etc) to them. It was a welded aluminum tank with a pricey tag
of ~$419

On the 3600, the frame width behind the axle narrows to about 29" between the
lower edges of the side rail just ahead of the last cross member.  This, I
believe is significantly narrower than a 3100 or a 1/2 ton long bed (which is
what they sent me a tank for).

I did some more searching, and at Gastanks.com , which is associated with
Quanta Products, I found a steel tank measuring 29" x 22" x 71/2".  This works
out to ~17.5 gallons, and costs $199.  The tank is for a 1955 F**d Passenger
vehicle, item # F-31C.  The tank fits between the rails perfectly.  The gas
line fitting is on the passenger side, the filler ends up on the drivers side.
I'll have to build/bolt/weld some mounting brackets to get the elevation and
level right, but that looks to be a snap.  I'll likely have to modify the
filler neck somewhat, but from the way things line up, I'll be able to put my
gas fill port in the rear portion of the rear drivers side fender, nicely
tucked out of the way.  It also looks like the tank is narrow enough (in
depth) that I could retain the spare under the bed if I chose.

As I install over the next few weeks (summer diversions slowing my work!!!!),
I'll be sure to take photos for those interested.

R.D. Hulst
A Canuck in KY with a '51 3600 in slightly less than a ka-gillion pieces