[oletrucks] First gear lurch

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] First gear lurch
From: Martin Smith <smithm92@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 09:17:41 -0700 (PDT)
Fellow oletrucks,
I have a '55 TF with 235 3-sp, new 1-bbl carb, fuel pump,
recently set valves, points and timing. Idles great but when I
give it a little gas to ease off into first gear, it lurches
quite a bit before settling into clean acceleration. I've
noticed that I can let the clutch out slowly without any
additional gas and there's no lurch. At speed the motor is
mostly smooth (could hold a steady RPM better). At this point
I'm suspecting a vacuum leak or a sticky vacuum advance
diaphram. Looking under the hood, when I apply throttle the
distributor appears to rotate suddenly after climbing some RPMs
(but thereafter advances smoothly). I would have guessed that
the distributor advance would be constant right off idle. Do
your distributors act similarly? Any other opinions?
Thanks,
Martin