Re: [oletrucks] Engine Overhaul - Which way is the right way?

To: "Wayne" <wroworth@tampabay.rr.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Engine Overhaul - Which way is the right way?
From: "Joseph Garcia" <joe_garcia@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 08:56:26 -0700
Hi Wayne -

Here is my input on the motor build up.

Make sure they install Brass Freeze plugs ......they don't rust out.

You can't beat a Melling high pressure/high volume oil pump.  This pump
requires a special metal pinned drive shaft because the plastic one will
just snap.  I like having lots of oil flow in the motor for cooling as well
as lubrication.

Nice Pistons...........I run those on my Blower Motor...........High
Silicone Content to help dissapate heat.

Gap-less rings are the way to go.

Nice timing chain set......true double roller has less stretch and thus
less timing variations.  I still run a cam button.  I would set the motor
up for torque when setting the timing and not top end speed.   I take it
they are going to degree the engine to make sure your timing is what the
spec card on the cam is indicated for optimum performance?

I like the 280 degree cam I'm running one right now but it's a Comp Cam
Magnum series

I've NEVER had any luck with the chome pans not leaking.  Must be some
warpage due to the chroming process or the poor metal their made out of ?
What will really save you some headaches is to purchase the oil piece oil
pan gasket.  This gasket is one piece like I said and so you won't get the
leaks in the timing cover or rear where the seal goes over the main.   I've
had really good luck with these seals......they are more expensive but
worth not having the oil pan leaks.  Ask the machine shop about them.

Now is the  time to have a High flow water pump and high flow thermostat
installed.....really makes a difference.

Ask the shop if they index your spark plugs.......just curious

That should cover it.  I look forward to seeing the dyno information on the
engine.

Joe

For
> The 383 Chevy Stroker Engine W/350-400HP. This Engine Will Cost You $5,299
> Plus $200 Shipping To FL. You Had Also Spoke About Pulley's, And Wire
Looms I
> Will Have To Work On A Price.
>

>   a.. 4 Bolt Main Block
>   b.. Block Will Be Bored An honed Accordingly " Painted Color Of Choice"
>   c.. ** All Precision Machining To Block To Fit Stroker Crankshaft (3.75
> Stroke)
>   d.. Block Will Have Installed New Cam Bearings , Freeze Plugs, and Oil
> Galley Plugs
>   e.. New Cast Steel Stroker Crank Assembled  W/Tri Metal Clevite 77 Rod
And
> Main Bearings
>   f.. ** A Set Of New Eagle I-Beam Connecting Rod W/ ARP Bolts
>   g.. ** A Set Of Performance Speed-Pro Hypereutectic Coated Skirt Pistons
>   h.. Assembled With  A Set Of Hand Filled Performance Rings
>   i.. A Three Piece True Double Roller Timing Set
>   j.. ** A Brand New Crane Performance Camshaft (Hydraulic Lifter) 270,280
> Duration
>   k.. A Set Of New High Rev Lifters
>   l.. ** A Set Of New Pro-Top Line Cast Iron Performance Heads
>   m.. A Set Of Screw In Studs
>   n.. A Set Of  Guide Plates
>   o.. ** A Set Of Stainless Steel 2.02 Intake Valves
>   p.. ** A Set Of  Stainless Steel 1.60 Exhaust Valves
>   q.. A Set Of Chrome Moly Push Rods
>   r.. ** A Set Of 16 True Aluminum Roller Rocker Arms W/1.5 Ratio (Free
> Upgrade)
>   s.. New Chrome Oil Pan, And Dip Stick,
>   t.. A Chrome Timing Cover
>   u.. ** A New Professional Products Crosswind Series Intake Manifold And
> Chrome Thermostat Housing (Same As The 7501 Edelbrock)
>   v.. ** A New 750 CFM Edelbrock Carburetor With (Electric Choke)
>   w.. A New 10" Chrome Air Cleaner
>   x.. A New High Performance High Voltage HEI Distributor W/Coil (53,000
Volt
> Coil)
>   y.. A Set Of 8 AC Delco Spark Plugs
>   z.. A Set Of Taylor 8mm  Custom Fit Ignition Wires (Color Of Choice)
>   aa.. New Fuel Pump W/Inline Filter
>   ab.. Brand New Water Pump
>   ac.. High Volume Oil Pump And Screen
>   ad.. A Set Of Valve Covers Customer Will Specify Where To Get Them And
What
> Type (Customer Will Be Responsible For Any Additional Cost If Any)
>   ae.. A Brand New Performance 400 Balancer
>   af.. A Set Of Fel-Pro Performance Gaskets
>   ag.. Engine Will Be Assembled With All Brand New Bolts
>   ah.. Engine Will Come With A Starter And Flex Plate W/Weight
>   ai.. ** Complete Rotating Assemble Will Be Balanced
>   aj.. Engine Will Be Live Run Tested and Dialed In
>   ak.. When You Place A Order We Will Send You Several Pictures Via
E-Mail As