RE: [oletrucks] Old Tire Sizes

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Old Tire Sizes
From: "Dave" <kruc@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 11:15:49 -0600
The old bias ply tires used to have a 5 tire rotation pattern that looked
like an "X". The spare got rotated in and was supposed to get as much wear
as the other tires. The direction the tire turned on the vehicle wasn't
important with a bias ply tire. I seem to remember that radial tires develop
a "set" and need to be turning the same direction, otherwise the belts can
delaminate in the tire. So tire rotation now is between front and rear on
the same side of the vehicle, the spare only gets used when necessary. I
carry a spare but haven't gotten a flat since 1979 when I drove over a brick
in a parking lot and tore the sidewall.
Dave '57 3100