Re: [oletrucks] Abandoned, my foot.

To: Ole Truckers <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Abandoned, my foot.
From: tim <lloydt@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 21:40:52 -0600
On Oct 15, 2003, at 9:18 PM, Carl & Becky Ham wrote:
> I understand money may be a problem (you mentioned you haven't run the
> truck while figuring-out a problem).  Can't you work out a deal with
> your roommate to let you park in the garage?  Or could you find a
> friend or relative willing to let you store your vehicle with them
> (assuming the same 'laws' don't apply where they live).  Is there a
> garage, body shop, car dealer or etc. close-by that would let you keep
> your truck there?  Some of these places have fenced and lighted lots
> that may be safer than leaving your truck to the mercy of vandals
> while sitting on the street.

I respectfully disagree with your suggestions.  One, I own the house,
and my roommate lives here on the condition that he keeps his Lotus in
the garage (although I did use the garage for a few months while
rebuilding the U-joint).  Two, I don't want to store Peanut at a
friend's or relative's place.  And three, I definitely don't want to
store Peanut at some garage somewhere.  Basically, I believe that I
should be able to keep my truck parked adjacent to my property, as long
as it's not a danger to anyone (parking brake's on, truck's in gear,
wheels are blocked), not an environmental hazard (it's no longer
leaking oil), and not an eyesore (perish the thought!).

> I assume you chose where you live for a reason.  Keep in mind that as
> a resident you have a social responsibility to that neighborhood or
> community to abide by their laws or ordinances.

That reason is mostly monetary -- it was the only house I could find
that fit my needs within my budget.  Fortunately, the neighborhood no
longer has a covenant-controlled homeowner's association.  I do keep up
good relations with my neighbors (including the owner of a 52 Chevy
pickup on my cul-de-sac, when I see him) -- except that one
troublemaker who complained about my truck.  If I had my druthers, like
many other folks on this list, I'd be living in some place with a 3- or
4-car garage.  But as it is, this was the only place I could afford,
and I even had to convert the family room into a garage myself.

Tim Lloyd, lloydt@colorado.edu
http://54peanut.blogspot.com
1954 Chevy 3100 Pickup "Peanut"
1954 Chevy 3100 Panel "Being paid for"