RE: [oletrucks] Rear end ratio

To: kosibar@newserv.kolbenet.com
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Rear end ratio
From: "Doug Wathor" <wathor@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 08:22:35 -0800
The prior post from Roger Gleason, described basically the same procedure,but
said rotate the tire two revolutions. This wasn't my original question,but I
would like to know how to do it for future reference. Which iscorrect? Rotate
the tire one or two revolutions?Doug-----Original Message-----From:
owner-oletrucks@autox.team.net [mailto:owner-oletrucks@autox.team.net]On Behalf
Of Wayne OsborneSent: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 10:51 AMTo: Antonio R.
Tijerino; Spinningroach@aol.com;
daveshier@hotmail.com;oletrucks@autox.team.netSubject: Re: [oletrucks] Rear end
ratioJack up both sides of the rear of the truck, place a tape or chalk mark
onthe 12 oclock position of the tire. Youll also note the the position of
thedrive shaft, place a reference mark, or visually note a location that youcan
count the revolutions of it. Turn the tire one full revolution andcount how may
times the drive shaft rotates. Although you quickly be ableto distinquish
between a 4:11 (one tire revolution eq!
ual 4.11 turns of theshaft) and say a 2:73. But be hard to tell between a more
closer ration.Best way is to remove the cover, count the pinion and ring gear
teeth anddivide the 2. There is generally a code stamped on it that can be run
toindicate the ratio---of couse that would be the original gear set..Good luck
 --wayneAt 07:07 AM 11/4/03 -0700, Antonio R. Tijerino wrote:>A while back
someone suggested that in order to calculate the rear endratio>you raise the
truck on hack stands and then turn the wheel and count the>number of turns on
the driveline. How does this work, I have a friend that>is trying to do this
and I can't remember exactly how this done.>>Thanks,>>Antonio>oletrucks is
devoted to Chevy and GM trucks built between 1941 and 1959oletrucks is devoted
to Chevy and GM trucks built between 1941 and 1959oletrucks is devoted to Chevy
and GM trucks built between 1941 and 1959